Disregarding even the smallest product in the construction mix can negatively affect the life of the structure. Water proofing plays an essential part of the construction mix but, for decades has been relegated to the periphery of construction and not given its due importance. However, this attitude has led to damage of the structure, reducing its true life-cycle.
Water is the main carrier of chemicals a n d o t h e r weakening agents, these agents seep in through small pores and cracks and start affecting the structure from within. By the time the effects are seen on the surface, great damage has been done to the inner structure. Most of the waterproofing techniques available today are expensive, time consuming, temporary but most of all are designed to have a high failure rate. External membranes or coatings are not just ineffective against high water pressure but also are easy to puncture, leaving the structure open to attack.
That’s where Kryton’s award-winning Krystol Technology comes in which is unique in terms of not just its chemical properties, but also physical properties. The technology uses water as a catalyst to create long, narrow crystals within the concrete itself. These crystals permanently fill the pores, capillaries and hairline cracks of the concrete mass, and continue to grow throughout the concrete, reaching lengths of many inches over time. Once the concrete has cured, the crystalline chemicals sit dormant until another dose of water (such as through a new crack) causes the chemical reaction to begin again. The ability to reactivate in the presence of water gives Krystol-treated concrete the ability to “self-seal”. When cracks form due to curing shrinkage, settling, seismic activity, etc., water entering through them causes new crystals to form and grow, blocking and filling the cracks. This ability to self-seal can help to dramatically reduce the long-term maintenance and repair costs of a concrete structure.
The advantages of Krystol Technology solution are:
• Cost and labor savings to stay on budget.
• Time savings to keep project on schedule.
• Capability to handle the most creative of structural designs.
• Ability to maximize square footage by building out to the edge of the property line.
Kryton, as the inventor of the crystalline waterproofing admixture has refined the innovative system that includes the waterproofing admixture Krystol Internal Membrane (KIM), the Krystol Crack Repair System and the Krystol Surface-Applied Solution.
The system is supported by:
• Proven crystalline technology
• Wel l -def ined, step-by -step installation process
• Independent accreditation of performance from International Code Council Evaluation Service (ICC-ES) and NSF International.
• Assurance from the leading warranty in the industry.
• ISO Certification, BIS and IS yearly qualification/audits
• Approved and recommended by Central Public Works Department (CPWD), Engineer’s India Limited (EIL), Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD)
Kryton works with industry, academic and governmental bodies around the world to develop certification standards and testing methodologies. All of this is backed by a global network of expertise – including chemists, engineers and experts from top universities and research facilities, including Kryton’s own two full-time concrete research testing laboratories.