Current day work spaces sufficiently address most indoor air quality issues to enhance productivity. According to Christopher Blessing, Managing Director, CAERE India, the new bacteria-free air-conditioning systems will further enhance health, sleep quality, productivity and the quality of indoor-spaces.
Studies indicate that most people spend 90 % of their time indoors. The indoor air is 2-5 times more polluted than outdoor air. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) lists poor indoor air quality as the fourth largest environmental threat and one of the main reasons of lost productivity and medical costs. The contributing factors comprise:
• Highly contaminated outdoor air containing pollen, dust, gasses and fumes cooled and pumped inside.
• VOC fumes arising out of the office supplies, building materials, cleaning chemicals and air fresheners.
• Contaminated cooling coils & condensate pans (Algae, mold, and fungal spores) and air borne microorganisms spread infections (Viruses and bacteria).
The biggest challenge in air filtration is the small size particles that are difficult to capture and are harmful for health and wellbeing. The existing solutions are tactical, temporary and partial which mostly include regular cleaning of cooling coils and condensation pans, effective ventilation systems, high efficiency filtration methods and sprays to mask odours.
The bacteriostatic barrier used to repel microorganisms can give long term protection against mold and bacteria growth on treated surfaces. For AHUs, tea tree oil helps maintain a sanitized condition with its natural antimicrobial and disinfectant properties. FDA listed purifiers eliminate 98-100% of airborne particulates, bacteria and viruses. Likewise, dust and dust mite protection starts with breathable and washable carpets, mattress and cushion encasings.
Inline Disinfecting Filtration System (DFS)
The latest inline disinfecting filtration system is 150 times more efficient as it contains 0.002 microns in comparison to 0.3 microns in conventional High-efficiency Particulate Absorption (HEPA) filtration. It can capture 99.99% of all particles which is ten times smaller than the smallest virus size. It has a higher gram holding weight as compared to a standard HEPA and therefore offers increased filter life. The modular design is capable for any airflow capacity and can be custom-built into existing HVAC systems both at design stage or retrofit applications. Also, DFS operates at half the pressure drop of conventional HEPA resulting in tremendous energy savings.
Creating a sanitary environment
• Air Handling Units (AHU): Thoroughly clean and disinfect the coils, fan blade, condensate line and drip pan. To sustain these conditions, a tea tree oil cartridge is installed to inhibit the growth of bacteria and mold. An added benefit of this process is that a clean unit runs more efficiently, reducing energy costs.
• Cleaning Solutions: The specialized clean solution disintegrates bio films and is designed to maximize the removal of dirt bacteria and mold.
• High Ozone Shock Treatment: The treatment is used during the initial conversion process for the complete elimination of bacteria, viruses, germs and odours.
• Maintenance: Replacement of main filters should be carried out once every year and replacement of pre-filter every six months based on outside particle count of less than 3 million particles / cubic foot at 0.3 micron.