‘Thermatek’ has become synonymous with quality over-deck thermal cool roof solutions. Some of the products offered include, Thermatek Heat Resistant Tiles, Thermatek Cool Mortar and Thermatek Heat Reflective Paint. The company is now introducing Thermatek Heat Resistant Ceramic Tiles for improved performance, briefs A C Ravi Rangaswami, CEO, ALA Inc.
Thermatek ceramic tiles are a quality product of Parshuram Pottery Works Co Limited, a 70-year-old company, considered the pioneer in ceramic products in India. These ceramic based tiles have been developed after an indigenous R&D on finding how buildings can be kept solar-passive by using reflectivity and low thermal conductivity. The company has applied for a patent for this new technology which helps in contributing towards designing solar passive architecture apart from the construction of energy-efficient structures.
The tiles are manufactured using indigenous patented ceramic technology which makes them 25% more efficient than any other cool roof technology available globally. They conform to the IS Standards and guidelines laid by ECBC/BEE/TERI/IGBC/MOEF/CPWD for energy efficient roofs. The lightweight and aesthetically appealing tiles are also easy to install and maintenance free. More importantly, the tiles reduce the surface temperature by upto 200C.
The existing approach to designing of solar passive structures makes use of porosity to achieve the thermal insulation of buildings. But the diffusion of the gasses results in increase in thermal conductivity by around 12.4% per year. Moreover, the compressive strength being very low, the insulation material is prone to damage very quickly.
Negating these factors and to keeping roofs cool, Thermatek Heat Resistant ceramic tiles reflect the infrared and visible spectrum of solar radiation. The tile consists of three layers. While the top layer gives it good finish, the middle layer is the thermal barrier with the bottom layer giving it the strength. Key salient features include:
- High solar reflectivity, emissivity and low thermal conductivity
- Very high density, strength and wear resistance compared to porous insulating materials and reflective coatings
- No maintenance and re application necessary
- Low energy input product. Does not contain petroleum based products or heavy metals
- Free from ozone depleting and environment damaging materials
- Lifelong efficiency and durability
- Overall reduction in building materials while installation
- No special skills are required for installation